Riding In The Shadow Of Death

09/11/2011 Posted by admin

Hello

My name is Chris and for the past few years I have been writing the book ‘Riding In The Shadow Of Death’, the true life story of Bill North, Lancaster Bomber Pilot from 61 Squadron.

The book is almost ready and will be published very soon.

I will be keeping you up to date on the progress of the book and some of the history of how I came to write the book.

Please sign-up by email for information on updates on the website and for when the book will be available to buy.

Chris

Riding In The Shadow Of Death book cover

13 Responses to Riding In The Shadow Of Death

1. emma says:

Hi Chris
    I took your taxi to Park Road last week, you scrawled your name on a scrap of card and said you were writing a book. anyway just found the scrap and looked up your book. Sounds wonderful, emotive, interesting exciting and I love that you listened to an old man and wrote his story. My husband loves WWII tales and i’ll buy him the book when it’s ready.
    good luck

2. Peter says:

Hi Chris
    I read with great interest a story about WWII Bombers reunited in the Daily Mirror today 1/12/2011 and I now cannot wait for your book to published and available for me to purchase. I thank you for covering this subject because without your contribution in telling the story of these brave men and many like them their couriage and sacrifice would fade with time.

3. David says:

Hi Chris,
    How possible could it be for me as a bomber command fan asking legendary Pilot Bill North for an autograoh? Thanks.

4. Alison Brace says:

Hi Chris

I work with Bill’s son Alun and we are looking forward to sharing the story with our pupil’s again this year. We all enjoyed meeting him to hear his story first hand, when he came to visit us a few year ago at our ’70 years on’ celebration. A remarkable man!

5. Elaine says:

Hello Chris

I read the very moving article in The Daily Mirror on Thursday 1st December and have to say I was incredibly touched by this true story of the bravery and compassion that Bill North showed to his crew by not baling out but crash landing and then subsequently ending up being taken as a Prisoner of War. It was a truly selfless act in a time when our country had great standards and camaraderie and I for one will be waiting eagerly for the release of the book. You can tell that this man means a lot to you to have gone to the trouble of writing and researching this story. I hope your book is a best seller – it certainly deserves to be. All the very best to you and to Bill North.

6. paul says:

Hi Chris
    Just read your article and then looked further to find out a little more, David Hiles current President Pinner & Grammarians RFC emailed me about Daily Mirror feature. I am currently the Chairman of the mini section at Pinner RFC and have had the pleasure meeting Bill (David has mentioned that at the tender age of 89 he is a little poorly at the moment)Bill was the previous President at Pinner & Grammarians [1977 – 2002]. I would like to do a feature on the website about Bill we have previously featured him along with other past presidents http://www.pinnerrugby.com/presidents-lunch-1970s-players-reunion/
    Would it be a little cheeky if at some stage you could give a talk about your book in the future?
    Hope to hear from you soon
    cheers

7. Ben Hancock says:

Hi everyone dose anyone know when this book is out and where I can get it from.

8. Danielle says:

Hi Chris

I’m looking forward to buying your book as a present for my husband. His grandfather was a Lancaster Rear Gunner so he is very interested in Lancaster crews and their stories.

9. John Aitken says:

Hi Chris.
    Very interesting! The photos of LM446 are out of crown copyright I understand. Imperial War Museum has rights, i think.
    Regarding Leslie Rhodes. As you probably gathered from the flickr site, I researched the crew in detail. I have the stalag details, but cannot access the POW debriefing of W/O Rhodes. I believe he may have died in 1950-55. I use the flickr photo as a point of first contact for researchers. Please contact me.
    Kind regards
    John Aitken

10. john grehan says:

Please email me, Chris

11. Ben says:

Dose anyone know where I can get this book from ??

12. norm webster says:

Hi Chris I am looking forward to reading your book about Bill North, his crew and some of their exploits and stories that happened during the second world war. I am so pleased I took the time to get to know Bill and finally meet with him in London.I am a nephew, named after Norman Jarvis my uncle, the Bomb Aimer. Sadly my uncle was tragically killed in a farm accident not long after the war. Your book “Riding in the shadow of death” will insure the heroism of these amazing men will live on for many years to come. Thank you, Norm.